St. Louis Estate Planning Attorney
At TdD Attorneys at Law, we understand the emotional process involved in drafting estate plans. However, crafting a plan is an important step everyone should take to give themselves peace of mind. Without an estate plan in place, you run the risk of having the government decide what happens to your estate.
Why Choose TdD Attorneys at Law LLC?
- Our firm has first-hand experience handling all types of estate planning matters. We can walk you through all possible pathways to help you create a comprehensive plan for the future.
- Our attorneys offer highly skilled services at a reasonable cost. We will work with you to determine an arrangement that works best for your circumstances.
- We know that estate planning can be complex and stressful. Our firm will take the lead on each stage of the process and take care of mundane tasks so that you can focus on what matters most.
Types of Estate Planning Cases We Handle
Estate planning provides you with the peace of mind that your wishes for your estate will be carried out. Through effective estate planning, we will address the following areas with you:
- Will: Establishing a will can set out how to distribute your estate at the time of your death. It can also designate who you would like to care for any minor children left behind.
- Revocable trust: This allows you to maintain control of your assets and helps your beneficiaries avoid probate court. Additionally, you can modify it to reflect changes in your estate plan until the time of your death.
- Tax planning: We can help you and your loved ones avoid or minimize the impact of taxes on your estate.
- Power of attorney: A power of attorney allows you to designate another entity to act on your behalf in the event you become incapacitated. This individual, or group of individuals, may then manage financial, personal or health care matters for you.
- Health care declaration: This helps ensure that doctors respect your wishes regarding medical care at the end of your life or when you cannot communicate them yourself. This commonly addresses such issues as life support and pain and suffering.
- Beneficiary deed: This transfers your property to an individual or entity at the time of your death without using a will, trust or another form of estate planning.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to estate planning. We will closely examine the details of your estate and your relationships with your loved ones to create a plan tailored to your specific situation.
How Does the Estate Planning Process Work in Missouri?
Estate planning does not have to be complicated. At TdD Attorneys at Law LLC, our lawyers can walk you through a series of important decisions to create a comprehensive plan for your assets. The estate planning process typically follows these steps:
- First, you and your attorney will meet for an initial consultation. We’ll discuss the estate planning process and answer any questions that you may have, such as how to create a will, the different types of trust, and whether you want to establish a power of attorney.
- When you agree to hire our firm for your estate plan, we will begin to prepare rough drafts of certain components. We will then send you these drafts for review.
- Then, we will meet as many times as necessary to review the drafts, discuss any changes, and implement additional instruments like revocable trusts or health care directives. You are welcome to contact our office with any questions, changes, concerns, or requests for additional information.
- Once your estate planning documents are finalized, our lawyers will set up a signing meeting. During this meeting, you will sign the documents in the presence of witnesses as required. If any documents need to be notarized, your lawyer can arrange to have a notary present.
What Happens If You Don’t Have an Estate Plan?
Not everyone leaves an estate plan behind when they die. When this happens, the deceased’s estate will be distributed according to Missouri’s intestacy laws—and his or her family will lose control over these important decisions. With an estate plan, you can bypass this pre-determined plan for your assets and even help your family avoid the lengthy and complex probate process.
Benefits of Hiring a St. Louis Estate Planning Attorney
Having a comprehensive estate plan in place can help you obtain peace of mind and ensure that your final wishes are carried out. While it is possible to create an estate plan without the assistance of an attorney, this approach is not recommended.
There are many complex legal requirements involved when drafting estate planning documents or establishing trusts. You want to ensure that your plan addresses all of your needs and is tailored to best protect your assets and your family’s interests. An estate planning attorney in St. Louis can provide the support and guidance that you need during this important process.
Your lawyer can ensure that your estate plan documents are up to date and meet requirements set by Missouri law. He can walk you through the different types of estate planning tools and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Then, your attorney can create fully customized documents tailored to your needs and can help you revise them as life circumstances change.
Contact Our St. Louis Estate Planning Lawyers Today
Please pick up the phone today and put your mind at ease. At TdD Attorneys at Law, we realize that estate planning is a difficult subject to address. Our experienced team is ready to assist. Call us today at (314) 276-1318 for an initial consultation with a lawyer in St. Louis, Missouri. You may also reach our team online.